STEP ASIDE TIKTOK, THERE’S A NEW TOOL IN TOWN.
Just when we thought we had the popular TikTok dances down pat, we’re hit with Instagram Reels: an awesome new feature that allows users to record and edit 15-second clips complete with music and effects.
Remind you of anything? We can’t help but notice the similarities between Instagram Reels and TikTok.
At a time where the future of TikTok is uncertain, with talks across the US about banning the app due to privacy concerns, Instagram has made a power move in the hope to ‘reel’ in viewers from TikTok. Just like the popular video sharing platform, Instagram users can share their video creations and scroll through a feed of user content.
The biggest difference that sets the rival platforms apart? The length of the videos. While TikTok allows videos up to 60 seconds, Reels caps theirs at 15 seconds; meaning IG influencers may have to work double time to get that perfect 15-second clip!
We’ve got the rundown on everything you need to know about IG Reels:
- To access Reels, simply open the Instagram Stories camera and find the Reels icon.
- Either record video clips on the spot or upload content from your camera roll – the choice is yours!
- Select from a variety of AR effects and editing tools to make your Reel stand out.
- Select your audio. TIP: Take a look at what audio/music other users are using as this will help increase your reach.
- Reels gives you the option to share directly to your IG Story, as well as to your Profile. TIP: Remember to select the ‘share to feed’ when uploading.
- On your profile, your Reel will live in its very own Reels tab. Through this tab people will be able to directly find Reels you have shared.
- Instagram has created their own take on TikTok’s ‘For You’ page, introducing a new ‘Reels Explorer Feed’.
- Not only will you see Reels from accounts you follow, but also through the Explorer Page users can discover Reels from trending and popular accounts.
- Users are able to see how many views their Reels receive.
- Your Reels are likely to gain more engagement than a standard IG post. TIP: If Reels is working for you, run with it!
Why your business should use Instagram Reels
At Red Lips Media, our digital marketing experts recommend quickly learning the art of Reels and integrating them into your social media strategy. Reels gives businesses the opportunity to share the personality behind the brand, resonate with a wider audience and capture followers’ attention – even if it is only for 15-seconds at a time! Plus, IG Reels are already proving to receive a lot more reach than standard posts, making them a power tool to utilise to get your business name out there and noticed. You never know, you may even go viral!